Popular Post

Is BET representing its fan base?

 
I’m not a big Trey Songz fan but, I do understand how he has so many fans. I even have a friend that made a Twitter page just to try to communicate with him. I believe his fan base would be primarily 16-24, black and female. When I saw his “Can't Be Friends” video I was so surprised. In this video, the main chick happens to be white. Absolutely no image close to his fan base. I  know some of you reading this may not think this matters but, can you imagine being a teenage, black female and seeing this on BET? It puts out there that you are not good enough to be on the arm of this artist, but you ARE good enough to support the tv network and him and his music. Back to my friend, that is a dark skinned, beautiful, female desperately in love with Trey Songz and does nothing but support him. That image just gave her self esteem a slap in the face. Then in the black community we wonder why many black women feel they have to HAVE weave in their hair and lighten their skin color. Why put an image that cannot be obtained out there to your fan base? Not saying that all the images have to be black females but, why not a variety of females? Especially on BET that is supposed to represent black people. The world we live in is full of it…

By: Megan Chase www.twitter.com/meganchase1
Copyright Vspotblog 2009